market-farming - Re: Help with irrigation and mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BBGREGSON AT cs.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Help with irrigation and mulch
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:51:39 EST

Reference Rose's questions about straw mulch, and drip irrigation:

We used to use straw extensively here near Seattle, but found it didn't break
down very fast and thus required removal and composting at the end of the
season. Also, took a lot of straw. Now we're firm believers in using
nursery ground cloth in any possible way. It lasts forever, or so it seems,
and has a lot of advantages when moved around from year to year.
Drip irrigation is terrific. You can tell from the spec's for each
particular product how many gallons per hour are needed for a certain amount
of linear feet, then check that against how many feet you'd run at any one
time and how often you'd cover each area. It's just about the best
investment we've made. But all of this is dependent on what part of the
country you're in.....
Bob Gregson, Island Meadow Farm, Vashon, WA