market-farming - Re: starting farmers' markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Glenn <glenn AT smallfarms.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: starting farmers' markets
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:24:37 -1000

Hi there. Nice to see so many familar faces on this new list!

Elizabeth asked:

> Are any of you connected with private farmer's markets, and is there such a
> thing?

There are. The ones I've seen vary in quality - real farmers' foods -
greatly. Most of the markets also have a mix of products and crafts
which the vendors make themselves, are imported, or are flea market type
cast offs.

The farmers there seem happy with the opportunity to sell at these
locations. However, my reservation is that consumers don't know what
they were buying, e.g., real, prudently grown small farm food or seconds
from a wholesaler. The farmers didn't have any signage or information
cards that told buyers that their products were from their farms...

More from Elizabeth:

> From a consumer's viewpoint (mom with kids), a new location, where I'd like
> to put one, would entice
> me to shop at a fm.  Convenience is the name of the game these days & I
> feel we farmers at this particular
> fm are missing out on alot of sales/potential customers.

I'd like to see a farmers' market try an information booth with a real
farmer there to answer questions and be a guide. The booth could
feature the Farmer of the Week, old farm tools, or animals, AND be used
to cross promote farm activities in the area. I'm thinking of
information on pick your own and roadside stands, even a small farm
labyrinth! (Our latest smallfarms.com farmer has one.) Anyway, I like
cross promotions and co promotions. They work!

glenn
Buy from the Farmer
http://www.smallfarms.com