market-farming - Re: Help with irrigation and mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman-Owsley <goodows AT excite.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help with irrigation and mulch
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 08:31:21 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:11:40 -0500, market farming wrote:

> I think Lucy is wary of moldy hay from her horsey days : ). I know when
> hear "moldy" hay I run! (Though lately, I've actually been looking for
> some!)

Liz is indeed correct-I don't use hay for mulch (we had a nice
hemlock/thistle problem we are still dealing with from hay mulch) but will
compost the stuff. Mainly we buy hay for the chickens and moldy hay is not
fit for any livestock

If you need moldy hay go for those big rolls-farmer's will usually sell them
in a rotted/moldy state for about $4 to $10 per roll (these are ohio organic
prices BTW) and load them on your truck for you. If you are composting them
they need not be cert organic for organic farms.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt CSA
New Paris, OH
Website: http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/boulderbeltcsa