market-farming - Re: Help with irrigation and mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Help with irrigation and mulch
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 08:52:19 -0500

Rose, if I were you, I'd go with green manures. They mulch, fertilize &
build humus in your soil. And you avoid the usual problems with other
mulches such as weed seeds. Personally, I think green manures are easier to
plant, than mulch is to spread, though I do use a combination of both
depending on the crop. Johnny's & Peaceful Valley Farm Supply sell many
types (& possibly your local farm supply). I usually sow them 4-5 weeks
after I've planted a crop of whatever. Clovers are great for those growing
veggies-they bring in pollinators.

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville, North Carolina