market-farming - Re: Marketing concerns

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelley Pasco" <whistle AT halcyon.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Marketing concerns
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 08:26:20 -0800

Hi Liz,
I think we've got a different situation up in our corner of the world. We've
got a huge demand for neighborhood farmers' markets, and not enough farmers
to fill them all up (yet). While many are run decently, there are a few in
Seattle that are run by one organization. These people really get it--the
marketing is there, the vendor support is there (i.e. keep crafts and
purchased goods out). By marketing, I'm talking about street banners,
sandwich boards on streetcorners for many blocks around the markets,
sometimes even radio time. Consequently the first of these markets is rated
as one of the best in the country--in the USA! They've all got waiting lists
for farmers so they'll be opening up one more next year. The organizers are
pursuing city and county money now to give them a push, and then it will be
very exciting to see what happens. Due in large part (I feel) to these
market organizers, the farmers' markets are very successful, and the local
government has been made aware that there is a need, a desire, and a reason
to keep local farming alive.
Shelley
Whistling Train Farm
Kent, WA