livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 01:36:30 -0500 (CDT)

First off, I'd like to acknowledge all the wonderful people in this group for being someone the wisest that I've ever run across.  Paul has been a great inspiration!

Dieter, to sum up what Paul is/might be saying (my interp): grow it and they will come.  Eventually things are going to go in the direction that we push in.  I'd say that our dilemma is that we're straddling two worlds, the corporate-controlled one, which makes it very hard to produce alongside of, and the world we're looking to create for, the sustainable world.  We cannot map today's maligned world on top of tomorrow's better world.  As I've noted previously, we're headed to subsistence farming.  While this looks bleak and negative in today's western world, in the future it'll beat the alternatives.  Today it's a matter of hanging on in the face of overwhelming odds; in the future it'll be the same, only we'll be better at it!

Dieter's point about us operating in a niche market is something that we need to pay heed to.  If there is substantial downturns in the economy we are likely to find our customer base significantly reduced, while our expenses (like mortgages) stay relatively fixed: yes, one should endeavor to control expenses, but when operating at the very bottom it's hard to reduce.  Our goals should be to do just enough to cover today's expenses such that we can hold on to our land and our practices: when the bottom completely blows out it's likely that there won't be anyone around to send mortgage payments to.  Any "excesses" should be used to pay down debt an improve our operations.

As far as the term "organic" goes, I think we should all resort to jettisoning this term, leaving it behind with the corporate food system that's absconded with the term.  I think that it's perfectly noble to use the term "sustainable," that this word implies that we're looking to keep things alive indefinitely, whereas the corporate world can in no way manipulate this word to fit what they are doing.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA