livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:55:41 -0500

There's a huge gulf between policy that supports and policy that subsidizes. Eliminating subsidies to level the playing field is what derailed the WTO in Cancun a few years ago and killed the Doha Round, I think they called it, and the WTO with it, almost. But eliminating the subsidies is only taking the elephant out of the living room, treating a symptom rather than the disease.

The human food production system is what needs vigorous policy support. Right now, that support consists only of subsidies to "commodities production." This is an obviously obsolete policy that continues only because those subsidized contribute funds to The Farm Bureau and a ton of other support organizations for industrial agriculture who provide lobbying in DC on a par with the financial and fossil fuels industries.

Local growers have no such organization to support their operations and lobby for policy support and such. UC Davis spawned a family farmer organization whose name I can't pull out of my brain right now (CAFF, I think, Community Alliance of Family Farmers) that plans to do that on a statewide level. It came out of their Rural Community Organization program.

This list would be a component of something like that, where people communicate their needs both to each other and to the organization which would then form policy (that the community likes) for which to lobby, etc. Industrial agriculture runs on a model of domination. No competition is allowed. Policy-level work is required to combat that, or it will remain the status quo until it collapses into its own excess.

I think that's too long to wait. But community is really hard to build in a culture that's been deliberately atomized. One of the things several farming states did was to pass a law that farms had to be owned by those who ran them. No absentee owners. That will make a difference, but large farm owners have to play commodities markets, file paperwork to get their subsidies, manage debt, and grow crops, all at the same time, just to keep from losing their land. It's a very brittle system, besides being so destructive. For several reasons, that system of farming is doomed, and the human food production system needs to continue, no matter what happens with industrial agriculture. I think.

Smiles.
Tommy