livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:34:40 -0500

I agree.  We don't try to change it.  That plays "their" game, and just wears us down, as it did the national environmental movement folks who put on suits and soon began to compromise away the landscape, and the future with it.  All we have, in the final analysis, is the land.  Without it, we're extinct this century.

We "overgrow" government, I think, by thriving off the economic paradigm, recognizing through self governance of our settlements the true purpose of government, and, by force of numbers, forge governments consistent with our vision.

What exists isn't worth the effort of bringing down.  But, if you read The Federalist Papers, you see right away that it's working just as it was designed to work.  The old white guys who wrote The Constitution and rammed it down the people's throats in a fait accompli were the ruling elite.  Their descendants, richer than ever, still are, and that was the intention.  Aristocracy, Plato called it, only he planned for the ruling elite to be philosophers instead of social predators.

I think the change starts when enough of us realize that the economic paradigm is DOA and that we need to get on the ecological paradigm, which features a future worth living.  We control the change through changing our consciousness and living out the change in our day to day lives.  Conscious evolution, and then building support structures beneath sustainable consciousness.

Cheap oil isn't peaking fast enough.  Climate change is moving too fast.  Economic collapse will probably occur with the next spike in oil prices.  Another food price bubble is growing large now.  We have to tend the soil of our consciousness as we tend the soil of our food production systems.  No one's coming.  It's up to us, and we're not maturing as an ecological culture fast enough to avoid a worse near-term future than is necessary.  Nature will make it as bad as we need before we move, one way or the other.  In AA, they say that the pain of the solution has to get less than the pain of the problem before we move to the solution.  That happened for me in 1968 in the Civil Rights movement in south Arkansas.

Staying in the consciousness that created the problem is not an option.  Nor is returning to some "golden age." There has been none.  But we can create one, from the solid ground of the ecological paradigm.

Smiles.
Tommy