livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:23:55 -0500

Thanks for another thoughtful post, Dieter.

I think the point of human evolution now is in becoming producer/consumers, rather than consumers. Self-reliance is large in that consideration, but self-reliance is not the ball and chain implied by policy supporting consumers. Self-reliance gives us the opportunity, and grounds, to create healthy, human-scale community which supports some level of sustainable specialization.

We consume, but we produce enough to, with each crop, build up the natural resilience of the land we work, which means, I think, that we consume only our part of the harvest, leaving enough to support the biodiversity that sustains the resilience of the land. When we find comfort and fulfillment in being producer/consumers, we have evolved, as have many on this list.

But that does not mean being comfortable with the fact that "our" government's policies support the consumer, rather than the producer/consumer. Until we attain a tipping point in cultural evolution - which may be near - the consumer is supported by policy that matters.

So sustainable models require policy support for producer/consumers at each level of government. I think.

Smiles.
Tommy