livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:52:41 -0600

Interesting. Let me throw out a couple doubts tho. We do see some small scale
intensive growing; however many such as mine don't serve niche markets but
ordinary customers just wanting better fruits and vegetables or value added
items like honey or jams etc. Now those biomass inputs don't actually have to
come from big farms at all; some on this list just grow their own. I don't
know about thousands of other areas but where we are thousands of homeowners
have at least an acre or more already that would be suitable if they have
their own water. A trip around the country reveals a lot of fallow land no
one finds profitable for big farming. They're not thinking outside the box
obviously.

The attitudes you describe in Portugal aren't so different from here. Organic
still has a very tiny fraction of the fresh market. I think those who pay
more for ours and others' are concerned about safe food and freshness. We
just had another massive recall of ground beef over e.coli. To me that's not
so much a niche market as a spreading fear of grocery store food.

As for communicating the need for sustainable food production, I don't beat
my head against the wall. The day isn't far off when they'll be forced to
work and sweat for food just to make ends meet. And they won't know how. As
for GMOs, nobody can show any evidence that GMOs ever raise production.

However, if people can't imagine that the soil is suffering, maybe they can
imagine how THEY are suffering. Supermarket food from most soil is nutrient
deficient and toxic. We have the highest rate of degenerative diseases in the
world, and by far the highest health care costs per capita. Their typical
diet is killing them, slowly and painfully, and draining their retirement
nest eggs.

So that's how the dieoff starts? People who love their addictive, toxic
"food-like substances" (Pollan's term)? Doesn't have to include us, does it.

I don’t doubt that there are