livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:24:32 -0400

On 08/13/2010 02:36 AM, mdnagel@verizon.net wrote:
I think that it's perfectly noble to use the term "sustainable," that this word implies that we're looking to keep things alive indefinitely, whereas the corporate world can in no way manipulate this word to fit what they are doing.

-Mark

Not so fast, amigo--haven't you heard those "advertisements" on no-advertisements-NPR: "Monsanto, committed to sustainable agriculture"?!

But basically I agree with you: I use the term "sustainable" a lot more than "organic" these days to imply a true alternative to dominant agricultural practices.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

Whoever really has considered the lilies of the field or the birds of the air
and pondered the improbability of their existence in this warm world within
the cold and empty stellar distances will hardly balk at the turning of water
into wine--which was, after all, a very small miracle. We forget the greater
and still continuing miracle by which water (with soil and sunlight) is
turned into grapes. ~Wendell Berry