livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing sustainable models
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:34:07 -0700

Tommy:

I strongly agree with you. There is and always has been a balance between the
individual and his/her society. We live in groups because of the resulting
mutual benefits. We were not designed (by evolution) to live alone and be
independent, rather to be interdependent. We as producer/consumers do better
when we support our groups and our groups support us. Government does have
legitimate functions and guiding society toward what is useful and right is
one of them IMHO.

Phil

---- Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Thanks for another thoughtful post, Dieter.

I think the point of human evolution now is in becoming
producer/consumers, rather than consumers. Self-reliance is large in
that consideration, but self-reliance is not the ball and chain implied
by policy supporting consumers. Self-reliance gives us the opportunity,
and grounds, to create healthy, human-scale community which supports
some level of sustainable specialization.

We consume, but we produce enough to, with each crop, build up the
natural resilience of the land we work, which means, I think, that we
consume only our part of the harvest, leaving enough to support the
biodiversity that sustains the resilience of the land. When we find
comfort and fulfillment in being producer/consumers, we have evolved, as
have many on this list.

But that does not mean being comfortable with the fact that "our"
government's policies support the consumer, rather than the
producer/consumer. Until we attain a tipping point in cultural
evolution - which may be near - the consumer is supported by policy that
matters.

So sustainable models require policy support for producer/consumers at
each level of government. I think.

Smiles.
Tommy