livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] the truth about vegetarianism

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] the truth about vegetarianism
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 00:04:24 +0100

Maybe time to tell a true story. One of the people who had this farm before us, J.J. Kingston decided in 1978 to plant barley on about 160 acres of it. To get it plowed killed more than 8 big tractor plows some of which are still around the place today.
But anyway at harvest time J.J. bought a pile of bags to put the threshed grain in. They unfortunately needed only the one bag for they did not even reach one full hundred weight. There was plenty of straw though.
That is what eventually happens after continually exporting food= nutrients from the same land for hundreds of years. The owner after that ran more than 300 sheep on the same ground and even when they were always escaping he made good money from it and also from subdividing the farm of which we now own some 80 acres.
We discovered that none of our planted vegetables grew those first few years. We found underneath the most luxurious grass pure rock here and there covered with concrete resembling subsoil. And it took us ten years to make enough good soil to enable us to grow carrots.
But those first few years it were goats that saved us. We came here with three small children ranging from almost 5 to less than a year old and we could not afford to fail having burned some bridges behind us and we were absolutely skinned in the land purchase process.
As vegetarians we would not have lasted a month.
Otherwise you are of course theoretically right. In another life I even lectured in ecology for a while myself.

But even today we are far from certain that we will see a crop from seeds planted. We have gotten quite good at it but even so we lost our complete pea crop 2 years out of the last 5. Rats! Or if not rats, rabbits, hares the odd deer, slugs, crows and rooks, finches taking every last single bud of your apple trees in winter and then climate. Frost is possible here every month of the year and strong gales and near hurricanes too. Not seeing the sun from March till September and 4 meters of rain during that time.
john in Ireland

----- Original Message ----- From: <pbunch@cox.net>