livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 02:59:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi John,

Good to hear from you again! What you say about Ireland applies to the South
of Portugal and most arid or semi-arid regions of the World too. Much of the
land is too poor to sustain farming, it can however be used as grazing land
for goats and sheep. The goat and sheep manure is traditionally used to feed
the land that can be used for farming. Without that manure the soil has to
be fed by synthetic fertilizers.

I think Tommy doesn't understand the difference between traditional farming
and conventional or industrial farming. Traditional farming has increased
and maintained soil fertility in many parts of the World for numerous
centuries; while industrial farming has destroyed this same soil fertility
within a few short decades only, among other things to produce grains for
vegetarians.

The problem is not the feedstock in farming; the problem is the way
industrial farming works. Industrial farming is destructive no matter
whether it is used for producing meat, vegetables or grains. Vegans like to
point to the methane gas produced by cows, conveniently forgetting all about
the methane gas produced by paddy culture of rice, for example.

Dieter Brand
Portugal