livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 02:00:08 -0500

Dan wrote an impressively intelligent post, but I think he misses the evolutionary point.  Humans have overshot our ecosystem's carrying capacity by a factor of going on four, meaning nearly four out of five humans now alive are not ecologically supported in a world without cheap oil, the substance providing the ghost acreage upon which the unsupported nearly four now live.  Those who will say put the figure at roughly two billion humans that a world without cheap oil will support.

Biodiversity loss is The Problem.  Biodiversity is literally what the planetary life support system (Gaia) is composed of, and human actions drive three species per hour into extinction.  Peak Oil and global warming, serious as they are, amount to minor irritations compared to biodiversity loss.  We can survive Peak Oil by transitioning to carbon negative lifestyles that, in turn, mitigate global warming, but we can not survive the collapse of the planetary life support system.

Those who evolve into ecological consciousness will be selected for.  Those who don't will perish.  If only it were that simple this far into overshoot.

Unless we shed a few layers of complexity that we can no longer afford and organize ourselves into ecologically sound human settlement patterns like Transition Towns (www.transitionus.org), focused on securing water, food, and shelter for everyone who survives Peak Oil and climate change, we will be quickly overwhelmed by so many people dying all at once and the pestilence resulting from dead bodies laying everywhere may take out the rest of us.  Through organizing Transition Town sorts of settlements now, voluntarily, before nature forces the issue, we may, through tightening our belts while building food production infrastructure that gives back to the land more than it takes, use humane measures to bring our population out of overshoot in a manageable and relatively trauma-free manner, leaving a future worth living to our children.

Otherwise, we're probably extinct.  If we simply keep doing what we're doing, extinction is assured.  Nature does not tend to forgive species for violating her laws long enough for her to become aware of it.  Who's willing to get in the position of needing to be the first species to be forgiven?  Shouldn't we avoid that, since we know it lies ahead, and how to avoid it?

There's still time, if we go for it now.  For the first time, perhaps ever, self interest now coincides with the greater good.  Those of us who get it have the tough task of being "our brother's keeper" if any humans are to make it out of this century.

Smiles.
Tommy