livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth About Vegetarianism
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 13:07:33 -0500

The snag in living in tune with nature is we're part of nature, it's part of us. We are not separate and apart from it; that's where the problem lies.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

I've heard that statement a lot, and tried to understand how it can be reconciled with the state of things. We can't have it both ways. Either the imagination (including all that we regard as 'human civilization and reason') is part of nature's needs, or it is not. If it is a beneficial part of the natural world, then it will survive somehow. If it destroys the natural world that spawned it, then that will be the end of even the possibility of our re-populating the earth with 'kinder, gentler' people.
Humans have rarely been able to control their own physical desires for 'more, better, faster', and the arguments about how we should all 'just get along' or about how we are 'special' and preserved are all based on anthropocentric views. A holistic view doesn't paint humans in any favorable long-term light. Our occupation of the Earth is short-lived and self-destructive. The evolution of destructiveness is natural. That doesn't mean it has to continue, or that it is a sustainable prospect for a species. Any species that evolves in such a way that it overcomes its environment goes extinct or shrinks in size through attrition and evolution.
Humans use their imagination and ego to prop up an artificial environment with long-buried energy and resources that are poisonous to living creatures.
No, we are not exactly 'separate' from nature in physical form, but we have separated ourselves from nature in our minds so that we can justify conquering and exploiting everything that we have imagined to be separate from us (an imaginary separation to nature, but not to modern human conquerculture).
Thus, in the human idea of existence, we created the separation (justified by 'God's Word, or Manifest Destiny, or Free Markets or Democratic Choice'), yet some would use the pre-sapiens connections to nature to 'fix' the artificial 'civilization' of the human imagination.
The "civilized" human is insane as far as the uncivilized world's systems are concerned.

"Reason's got nuthin' to do with it."  - Mr. Gibbs, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Dan C.
Belgium, WI

Paul wrote: "What is 'living in tune with nature'?"

My semi-scientific, logical answer is that all species produce some kind
of usefulness for their (nature's) future over and above what they
consume in resources. Erwin Schroedinger (yes, the guy with the cat in
the box) called Life the "Anti-Entropy" force. For humans to be
considered as 'in tune' with nature, they would have to collectively be
putting more back than they take.
Anyone who believes that some form of capitalism/democracy/humanism is
going to do that is fooling themselves. Everything about our idea of
'civilization' is oriented toward taking advantage of nature for the
profit of humans until nature fails, then trying to 'fix' something up
just to keep doing the same things.

Lots of people like to say they 'want to live in tune with nature', but
doing so goes against everything in the human imagination since we
evolved it. To live in tune with nature requires that humans all get a
lobotomy and become apes again.

"This will all end in tears. I know it."  -Marvin the Paranoid Android