livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/ Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Gail Hoskisson Loper <loghillgail@msn.com>
  • To: LOL <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/ Food
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:28:50 -0600

On 5/30/08 6:35 AM, "Liz" <liz@allslash.org> wrote:

> The cool
> temperature at which I keep the house may not be ideal for starting
> things like tomatoes and peppers, but they seem to do fine.

All of my starts begin their lives in unheated window boxes in my east and
west downstairs windows. The new window boxes my husband built this spring
extend out from the house five or six feet. On freezing nights we put a
very small fan in each window to circulate warmer air from the house through
the boxes. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the tender plants would freeze.

During the days the boxes heat up to near 90 degrees and hover around
freezing each night.

The plants don't grow by leaps and bounds in that harsh enviornment but by
the time the freezing nights are over they can go outside without any
hardening off and don't seem to be set back at all when transplanted into
the raised beds or row garden.

The forecast is for 30 degrees again tonight but that is the last night that
low out for a week. Hopefully I can put things out in the garden tomorrow.

Last year's last freeze was June 8th. Maybe I'll give things another week.

Gail