livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/ Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Liz <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/ Food
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:35:58 -0400

At 10:52 PM 5/29/2008, you wrote:
I don't have a greenhouse or any indoor space to grow seedlings, so I
grew tomatoes from seed using wintersowing this year and had a bunch
to give away. All I used was some free recycled plastic containers,
homemade compost, and a couple square feet in my garden path, and I
got free seeds, too. I didn't need a greenhouse, fluorescent lights,
heating pads, etc. And one of the easiest to germinate was Costuloto
Genovese, which I haven't grown before and am eager to taste.

I'm hoping to shift to an unheated greenhouse next year, but my primary seed-starting season is in the middle of the coldest spring weather, so I don't have any choice about doing it inside. I don't use heating pads, but I do use fluorescent lights. The cool temperature at which I keep the house may not be ideal for starting things like tomatoes and peppers, but they seem to do fine.

Liz in SW VA
http://life-as-a-spectator-sport.com