livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/ Food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: speakingbeareturns@yahoo.com, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Stamps/ Food
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:56:37 -0600

I don't want to debate the definition of "need", but we know that
statistically the working poor and disabled face much higher cost of living
relatively in the basics like food, shelter, utilities, transportation. Not
many want to depend on handouts. Things like check cashing stores, rent to
buy appliances, and payday/title loans rip off those on low income. Low
income people already pay a much higher proportion of their income for food,
rent and transportation, and without established credit people pay higher
prices on everything. Try getting a job without a car in most cities, or
without affordable child care, or try paying rent when the father is off
somewhere in jail for minor traffic offenses. I see obesity common among the
poorest, and a high rate of chronic diseases, but it's hardly because we're
smarter. Look at what they're eating - USDA commodities and junk that won't
sell in middle class neighborhoods. Supermarkets have abandoned poor sections
of town, leaving only junk food in quickie stores.

It's certainly not a matter of pigging out or taking advantage of the system.
The upper class must blame the victim or else feel guilty about having it so
easy. We know that the hardest jobs pay the lowest wages, and the easiest
jobs pay salaries in the stratosphere. Look at CEO salaries and stock options
if you want to see corruption on a scale the rest of us can't imagine. Those
who've never lived or worked among the wealthiest class have no idea how easy
they've got it or how uttlerly incompetent they are at everyday tasks, or how
they complain about "the servant problem". They are the ones living off the
work of others. They are really the ones who think the world owes them a
living, the "gimme" class. That's the way the world works.

That said, one way out is to become more self reliant in food and skills and
not need the stores and paid help for every little thing. We need an immunity
to the incessant call to buy all the new! improved! crapola that keeps us in
debt and keeps us peasants on someone else's land.