livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Lofty Prices for Fertilizer Put Farmers in aSqueeze

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Lofty Prices for Fertilizer Put Farmers in aSqueeze
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:40:23 -0700

What a great time to grow without commercial fertilizers.
Our costs don't go up - theirs do, and so do their food prices

Organic compost fertilizers are going up as farmers switch to cheaper alternatives. Huge piles of animal wastes are disappearing as chemical fertilizer prices rise and costs of spreading manures is reduced by comparison. Also the fuel costs to deliver is increasing. As an unintended consequence supplies of organic composts are decreasing and the industry is not equipped for the sudden new demands. At least one farmer I know had to forgo an application of compost just because it was not available by the time he needed to plant.

Cover crops as fertilizer is still doing well outside the significantly increased costs of fuel. With ag fuels running over $4 a gallon and road fuels over $5 many farmers are having to raise prices but are unable to do so because WalMart is setting many prices.

Don Bowen KI6DIU