livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable communities

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] sustainable communities
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 00:01:41 -0700

At 11:14 PM -0600 5/29/08, Tradingpost wrote:
Well, if it's been going for 30 years then somebody made it work. Interesting tho that it uses writen leases and at times it's ended up in court.

It's organized anarchy in practice.

When a litigious person with entitlement issues doesn't want to follow the rules, all it takes is the threat of lawyering up to get the city to back down. As far as I can tell, the city mostly objects to the waste of staff time in court.

I like what I've read about the British allotment gardens (though those seem to be on the decline) and the Russian dacha gardens -- being able to live in a city or town and have a large piece of land to grow food. Also there's the relatively new movement of Ringing Cedars sustainable communities in Russia.