livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seed sources. Was: Jerry Baker

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost@riseup.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seed sources. Was: Jerry Baker
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:53:59 -0700

I've seen some claims that hybrids which grow larger don't actually have more
nutrients, just bigger and less nutrient-dense. So all other things being
equal you'd have to eat twice as much to get the same nutrition, more or less.

This all raises some bothersome questions. We know that to some extent
plants reseeding themselves do evolve over generations, through natural
selection and in response to their environment. Do chemically grown seeds
over generations lose some of their ability to take up nutrients without
chemical fertilizers? If so, wouldn't chemically grown seeds actually need
chemicals and fare worse thrown suddenly into an organic program? We could
ask the same questions of pesticides. Do seeds from plants grown for
generations with all the fungicides and pesticides gradually lose natural
defenses against disease and pests? I've never seen these issues addressed
anywhere. Are we sowing the seeds of our own destruction (literally)?

paul, tradingpost@riseup.net
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all our
most pleasing responsibility. To cherish what remains of it and to foster its
renewal is our only hope.
- Wendell Berry