livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Southern US gardeners

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Southern US gardeners
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:03:46 -0600

Paul I need to work on the pH of some areas of mine. These are undeveloped areas and the soil tested at 4.3 (that's not a typo) at Auburn University.
But the soil tested very high in Magnesium and low on calcium. What can I find that doesn't have Magnesium in it?

What other sources of phosphate would you use? I'm more than leery of bone meal because of prions. Composting doesn't kill prions as far as I can tell from what I've read. I've always been organic and don't want to do anything but. The soil tested very low for phosphate on the undeveloped parts of our land.

We have five compost piles going right now and we mulch heavily (no-till) with leaves and grass clippings but its my feeling that if your land is low on calcium or phosphate then the plants you compost that grew on that land are going to be low too.

Gardening in New Mexico was SO much easier!

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins