livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Bonemeal and prions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Bonemeal and prions
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:53:51 -0600

Paul, the following is the information I'm going on. I haven't heard of anything new yet. We don't eat cows either. This is just our choice and I'm not telling everyone they must feel the same.

info.ag.vt.edu/vce/offices/newsletters/15Feb2004_letterhead.pdf
"Regarding the question of whether or not composting will destroy the prions associated with BSE, there is no evidence that suggests the prions are destroyed in the compost process. Prions are a special form of protein that can only be killed through incineration at excessively high temperatures and acid treatment."

http://extension.usu.edu/files/agpubs/Compost.htm
"Composting can destroy many disease causing agents, but not all spore forming bacteria. It is not yet known if composting will destroy the prions of TSE diseases, such as BSE or Mad Cow Disease. Research is currently underway in the U.S. and Canada to answer that question. Prions are very resistant to heat and many chemicals. They are also resistant to some enzymes but may be vulnerable to those present during the composting process. "

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/tirc/projectdescription.htm
" Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a prion disease that is of concern in wild populations. There is no evidence to show whether CWD would be killed in the composting process. Compost temperatures are not high enough to inactive prions, but it is possible that microbial and enzymatic activity could (Langeveld, et al; Kirill, et al.). "

Laura
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins