livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Bonemeal and prions

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frosted-acres@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Bonemeal and prions
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:49:00 -0800 (PST)

Paul
Correct, proteins are chains of amino acids (as is
DNA, by the way) Any protein taken in by an animal,
includeing us, is broken into it's componenet amino
acids, then re-assembled to meet our needs. That is
why vegetarians are urged to eat a wide variety of
vegetable proteins, as only red meat contains what are
known as "complete" proteins-- the protein we need
that can supply all of our needs.
The only way a prion would survive, as far as I can
figure-- is in the genetic form--I should think
decomposing prions would easily be gobbled up by the
worms and other soil organisms, and rendered fairly
non-viable by the heat of copmposting, as well.
If one wants to worry aboput ingesting active prion
genetics, then compost the source, and eat only
vegetable matter from the source.

Terry W - Today's thought-- I WILL pass Statistics
even if I have to blow up the science building to wipe
out the gradebook.
See, I am NOT feeling any "just prior to
graduation" stress!