livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seed sources. Was: Jerry Baker

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Laura McKenzie" <laurabrownmckenzie@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seed sources. Was: Jerry Baker
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:54:52 -0600

Pat, I'll ponder a while but give a gut answer now. Let's imagine that year after year you experience a pest problem. I'd guess that after a while seeds selected from successful plants are adapted to handle the pest problem better than seeds selected from plants that are "coddled" (for lack of a better word) with pesticides. (Maybe plants that are addicted to pesticides would be right? Someone help me here.) Its possible that in some small or large way the progeny of these plants would eventually develop some sort of defense.

Also imagine plants grown on organic soils year after year. Wouldn't they be better adapted for our own organic soils and organic inputs than seeds from plants grown on chemical soils?

Of course the seeds are likely healthier producing healthier plants too but that is just my unscientific opinion.

I will admit that when I'm really needing a particular plant and can't find an organic and small farm source I will resort to buying from non-Seminis (etc) sources because I'm still trying to find the best varieties adapted for this hot and humid place. (Our typical summers are rainy in April, May and June and dry in July. Sometimes in August and September and October we'll go 60+ days without rain.)

Now I'll go ponder. : )

BTW, Pat, thanks for the link! I having to cross NC in two weeks to take Sean to visit a couple of colleges and universities so maybe I can find something on the road but in case I don't, I'll check out the link you gave me. I thought I"d stop and visit those triplet nephews in SC while I was at it. (They are now 3 years old).

Laura
<>`` ><>`` ><>`` ><>`` ><>`` ><>`` ><>``
Laura's Homeschooling, Garden, and Genealogy Site
is found here: http://home.att.net/~ekyorigins
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patricia Ruggiero" <ruggierop@earthlink.net>

Laura wrote:

Organically raised seeds are adapted to organic practices. If you are
organic, using organic seeds would probably be helpful.

Laura, I can't remember who told us that, and that hybrid seeds do better
under a "conventional" regime, but it's something I would like to understand
better. Exactly why is this so?

Pat