livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Jerry Baker

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Jerry Baker
  • Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 10:23:57 -0500

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:29:12 -0500, you wrote:

>. The
>prolific slugs in the garden have had me stumped. They also make me realize
>that I've been fighting off parasites with my livestock for a very good
>reason. So we've tried a little poultry, but the poultry have made gardening
>impossible, as they also eat the things I plant. However, I doubt there is a
>slug or grub left in my garden. And we have more eggs than we know what to
>do with now, mostly laid in the outhouse-turned-garden-shed. (The chickens
>adopted it as a laying house). Next step is a fence around the garden, with
>controlled pasturing.

There's a safe, and I believe organic, slug bait. It's
based on iron phosphate, a naturally occurring mineral. I
use it, it works.

GardensAlive.com carries one version of it, called
'EsCar-Go' and 'Sluggo' is another version. I was in a
local garden center yesterday, and they've started carrying
another brand (which I forget).

http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2111

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania