livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seed sources. Was: Jerry Baker

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seed sources. Was: Jerry Baker
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:44:44 -0500

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:07:55 -0500, you wrote:

>Laura wrote:
>
>> Organically raised seeds are adapted to organic practices. If you are
>> organic, using organic seeds would probably be helpful.
>
>Laura, I can't remember who told us that, and that hybrid seeds do better
>under a "conventional" regime, but it's something I would like to understand
>better. Exactly why is this so?

I don't believe it on an across-the-board level. It's
certainly not so in my experience.

Hybrid eggplant and pepper seeds do better for me here
because we have cool summers and neither peppers nor
eggplants do well in cool summers. Hybrid tomatoes do no
better than O.P. tomatoes.

Hybrid seeds make more money for the seed producer and
seller.

But I think you are confusing 'open-pollinated' and
'organic'. The two are not the same at all.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania