livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Some interesting pet pest control findings

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frosted-acres@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Some interesting pet pest control findings
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:01:20 -0800 (PST)

A friend forwarded this information to me-- she knows
how I feel about chemicals. All three of these 'drugs"
are pretty well used throughout the US for flea and
tick "control" on our pets. The first two are
neurotoxic, while the third is a growthregulator--
many of my former doggy friends reported incidences of
missed breedings-- in other words-- no pregnancies.
This stuff can readily get into our soils and
plants, affecting the whole eco-system thatwe are
trying to save.

Enjoy

Terry W

FIPRONIL (Frontline) phenylpyrazoles NCAP was unable
to locate any reports of adverse health effects in
humans or pets. This is a new chemical and such
reports are unlikely to be available. Fipronil is
neurotoxic.26 EPA classifies it as a carcinogen (it
causes thyroid tumors).7 In rats, it causes seizures,
decreased weight gain, damage to kidneys, and
alterations in thyroid hormones.26

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

IMIDACLOPRID (Advantage) neonicotinyl NCAP was
unable to locate any reports of adverse health effects
in humans or pets. This is a new chemical and such
reports are unlikely to be available. Imidacloprid is
neurotoxic, and causes incoordination and labored
breathing.27 It also causes thyroid lesions, reduces
pup weights, and increases the frequency of a birth
defect in rats.28 Imidacloprid is persistent in soil
and has “properties and characteristics associated
with chemicals detected in groundwater.”28 It is
very highly toxic to shrimp29 and bees, and is highly
toxic to house sparrows.28

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
LUFENURON (Program) drug Lufenuron accumulates in
fatty tissues of pets given the drug.30 In dogs and
cats, the following adverse effects have been
observed: vomiting, depression, lethargy, diarrhea,
loss of appetite, and itchy, scratchy skin.31,32
Lufenuron is a close chemical relative of the growth
regulator diflubenzuron,30 which has a metabolite that
is classified as a carcinogen by EPA.7 Because
lufenuron is a veterinary drug, tests for impacts on
nontarget species have not been done.

  • [Livingontheland] Some interesting pet pest control findings, Terry Wereb, 03/28/2006