labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Espalier

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Joe Boles" <jo.bo@rogers.com>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Espalier
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:22:58 -0400

Biz:

The Ottawa rootstocks were grafted with a different varieties just above the ground line. These varieties formed the leader and one of the lower arms and carried on as the leader for at least one more level. The leaders at some point were usually changed to a different variety. Grafts were not made at heights corresponding to the wire height. Usually an arm was allowed to form from the leader and then cut off and replaced with a splice graft or bark graft. Grafting has been done in spring after the bark begins to slip. Pollination has never been a concern as there is always more than one variety in bloom and the neighborhood is full of flowering crabs. My original plan was just to have a few varieties to cover the complete season but the plan changed as I heard or read about varieties with different flavours or something special. Some varieties have not worked out so I am in the process of changing some of the arms. I am sure I'll be wanting a few more varieties.

I don't have pictures of the apple trees but here is a pear tree. The first is taken the winter before last and the next is taken last summer.