labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Espalier

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Espalier
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:20:15 -0400

Hi Tom,

It's rather embarrassing to admit that I have only managed a small amount of
chip budding so far this season. I'm going to deal with the difficult
varieties, or anything with iffy or thin wood this coming weekend, when the
biodynamic calendar looks great for grafting. The weather earlier in the
month was too unpredictable and cool, so not good for grafting, and last
weekend was too darn hot to really be able to concentrate. So it all starts
this weekend. I'll continue right through until mid August. The only
difference is whether to prune off the rootstock to let things get growing,
if there's enough time for the new whip to get large enough to handle the
winter weather, or hold off till next spring, cut the rootstock and then let
the bud develop.

I'm also going to try an experiment and whip graft dormant scionwood onto
growing rootstock. Some folks I've talked to have had success this way. This
will only be attempted for varieties that have lots of scionwood stored in
the fridge.

Cheers, Bizmark