labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Espalier

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Espalier
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:29:17 -0400

Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:06:30 -0400, Biz Storms <biz.storms@sympatico.ca> wrote:

How high from the ground is your first horizontal?

about 20"

Roughly how far apart are your horizontals?

about 20"

What rootstock is your Baskatong grafted onto?

to be honest... no sure. Could be wild.

How long are you intending for the branches to grow?

about eight feet wide

Is the apple sun reactive

Baskatong apples look like beets from day one.
The new leaves emerge dark purple and turn
green as they mature.

Buds dark purplish-red open light purple red
with white claw, 13/4” dia. Dark purplish-red 1”
fruit. Very disease resistant.

I'm quite fascinated since I'm preparing what you might call an apple hedge, and need to establish a second row of trellis wire in the next few weeks to start training the next row of branches this summer.

Joe is the man to ask. He has wire trained fruit in
his backyard.

Later,