labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Espalier

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Espalier
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:29:50 -0400

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info, which of course, has led me to definitely re-think the spacing between horizontals. I do have a few more questions, though. Did you graft the different apple varieties to the leader at a height that corresponds to the wire, or, graft onto branches coming off the leader? If you went with the latter, did you maintain the Ottawa rootstock as the leader, or choose a variety that has strong upright growth and well spaced branching to act as a replacement leader? What form of grafting are you using, or a combination? As for timing, do you opt for scionwood in early summer for immediate growth or budwood grafting late summer, to prune and initiate growth next spring? Have you selected crabs for some of your branches to assist with pollination? Is there any coordination of varieties per tree for ripening, ie an early tree, September tree, and late tree? Or, have you randomly placed the different varieties so each tree has different varieties ripening at different times? Or, have you chosen another kind of theme for each tree – English, American etc, or by colour?  Gosh, I hope you have pictures.

Please let me know if you have any other varieties that you’d like to add – I acquired an embarrassing number of new varieties over the winter. ( Not even my husband knows how many we’ll have if all the scionwood successfully grafts. ) I’ve begun to start my 2006 grafting efforts, which will take me most of the summer to get through. Between the stupid weather, and losing all of May and the beginning of June to being a rowing parent, things are a few weeks late.

Cheers, Bizmark.