labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Espalier

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "'Ontario Fruit Explorers'" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Espalier
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:48:26 -0400

Thanks Tom.

Okay Joe,

I'll pose that question to you. If one is looking to create more of a visual
hedge, using a wire trellis approach, how close together would you place the
horizontals? If you went every twelve inches, versus fifteen to eighteen
inches, would you cause an M.26 to stunt out? Or, once the tree gets older,
would it fill in too much and start to become unmanageable? Is there a
relationship to the space between horizontals and annual growth output?

Also, have you seen any espalier or trellis work where branches have been
grafted for a number of different varieties? I'm thinking of using my
trellised apples as a form of scionwood storage. Instead of grafting
multiples on one tree, and I have had great fun making what my husband calls
"frankentrees", I hoping to use just some of the trellis branches as a form
of a live library.

Thanks, Bizmark