internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] House LAN ?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] House LAN ?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:01:40 -0400

.

Unfortunately, the builder for my new house wouldn't run CAT5 for me,
and wouldn't let me do it myself.  What are the costs for running
some cabling post-drywall?

--Wade

Quite a bit more.  But it's not out of the question.  It would have been nice to run the cables pre-build but it's not the end of the world.  If you don't have a need for true high-speed "in the house LAN" you'll be fine going wireless.  My house has the cable modem in my bonus room along with my firewall and switch and primary server.  From there I ran one cable down the wall to my living room where I put a WRT54G (that gives me wireless and a five port ethernet switch) which connects to the upstairs and also connects the PS2 and a couple other gizmos.

The wireless signal was a bit weak in the way back of the house so I set up another WRT54G acting as a repeater (these are both "old" wrt54g units running OpenWRT by the way).

So you're not out of luck.  Wiring would have been nice but you don't have it.  Not the end of the world.  Plus there are plenty of wiring contractors on the list (like me) that will run cables but I will tell you it is quite expensive to run cables all over a built house.  I really can't justify the cost but some people still do and that is alright with me.  :)

Greg