internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Asterix (virtual PBX) gurus?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jason Tower <jason AT cerient.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Asterix (virtual PBX) gurus?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:48:33 -0400

it's easy, your voip phones connect to the existing ethernet network and use SIP to talk to the * server. it doesn't happen by magic (you gotta configure things) but it's pretty straightforward. the more difficult part is establishing a connection to the pstn. you can either connect directly (which requires phone lines and special cards like those made by diguim) or use a service like voicepulse which gives you an IAX trunk between your * server and theirs.

i use the voicepulse setup for my business, it works great. for eleven bucks a month i get a 919 phone number with unlimited incoming calls and $0.01/min for outgoing calls. our * server is on one of our colo boxes, and we have several SIP phones (polycom 501) that we can plug in anywhere in the world for a live extension. naturally * gives us voicemail w/ email forwarding and all the usual pbx features. fan-smegging-tastic.

another option is to use a hosted service to handle the server duties, then all you need are phones and a net connection. featuretel are the local boys to contact for such a setup, tell them jason sent you :)

the critical part is that you *MUST* have a good QoS system in place on your wan connection to ensure that voip traffic gets priority over other traffic. we use openbsd to do this and it works very well.

jason

Tony Spencer wrote:
I have several friends that run small businesses and rave about Asterix.
http://www.asterisk.org/

Does anyone here have experience with it? I need to handle about 15
extensions and I'd like to hook it up with VOIP and a land line for backup.
The one thing I'm confused on is how the phones hookup to it. Do you just
plug the IP phone directly into the network and then Asterix is just aware
of them?

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/