internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] House LAN ?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] House LAN ?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:18:47 -0400

S B wrote:
I'm just about to get a house built, and wondering if I should include cat 5e/6 wiring in the contract (from each room to a patch panel in the garage) - is it worth doing or should I just have xBox/Vonage in the same room as the cable modem and go wireless for anything else ??

I would definitely put wiring into the house in almost every
room. You are putting in coax for TV (I assume) so run the LAN
wires at the same time to every place you can think of using
it in the future.
I would also put in a chase from the patch area to the attic.
People who build should plan for future, unknown wiring.
I would also add a loading dock, a whole house vacuum system,
a tower, an elevator if multistoried, and a lot of other things
that I can't remember right now.
--
Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.