internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] House LAN ?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] House LAN ?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:30:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, S B wrote:
I'm just about to get a house built, and wondering if I should include cat
5e/6 wiring in the contract (from each room to a patch panel in the
garage) - is it worth doing or should I just have xBox/Vonage in the same
room as the cable modem and go wireless for anything else ??

If the builder can't do it, I'd have to bring in another contractor -
suggestions/recommendations ??

Any other thoughts ?

Yes run a bunch of cable now. There is no difference in the labor involved only the cost of the cable. I'd go ahead and run cat6. Run more than you think you'll need.

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1960 International B100
1923 Buick Roadster (Dual Quad 425" Nailhead) 1990 Ducati 750 Sport