internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Javascript (was: Give...help some students)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Javascript (was: Give...help some students)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:33:29 -0400

for me, the NCSU auth stuff and other popups have always been handled well when i have popup blocking on, and its never stopped my from doing anything

ex: the TRACS authentication says "cannot open authentication in new window" then redirects me to the auth page in that window

~ian

On Apr 15, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Ilan Volow wrote:

On Apr 15, 2004, at 10:18 AM, Phillip Rhodes wrote:

Ilan Volow wrote:

> Never ending pop-ups and sites that kill your back button come to mind.

Interesting. I use Mozilla with it's built-in pop-up blocking, so almost
never have to deal with pop-ups, even with javascript enabled. I do find those "back button killer" sites to be extremely annoying as well,
but not enough so to turn off javascript.

Do you find a lot of sites doing that? In my day to day surfing, it seems that I really don't encounter those all that often anymore.

TTYL,

Phil

I don't usually surf the net javascript turned off all the time (though I can easily see how someone would feel like doing this). It's only when a site is being a real bastard that I'll turn it off. For me, have javascript preventing me from using an one important site (e.g. NCSU course registration, etc) is far worse than 10 sites that maliciously abuse javascript. Safari does allow me to block pop-ups, but NCSU seems to use them a lot for important stuff, so I usually leave pop-up blocking off.

One would think by now that the latest versions of browsers would have some sort of "site lock-in detection and avoidance" system (I'll call it SLIDA for short). The SLIDA system would keep track of the URL's you get by hitting your back button and it would compare the "back URL" with the URL you were previously at. If the two URLs end up being the same after the javascript or http header has been evaluated, then SLIDA would tell the browser to go back to the previous page and ignore the results of whatever javascript command or http header that tries to hijack your browser. And surely, some "arms race" wound start up between browser makers and marketing camps, just as with the spam filter and spammers camps.

--
Ilan Volow
Ergonomica Auctorita Illico!