internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Javascript

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Javascript
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:44:48 -0400

On Apr 15, 2004, at 10:24 PM, Ilan Volow wrote:

But I will post a link to something I had considered posting a few threads earlier. Sums up my opinion on javascript nicely (with a few old-timer sentiments thrown in for good measure)

http://www.asktog.com/columns/028WebStealers.html

Replace Javascript with a procedural markup language? Ick ick ick.

Been there, done that, with XSLT. At first it seems like a great idea--but once the logic extends beyond the trivial, it really stinks. Hard to write, hard to read, hard to follow. Cramped, like his description of PASCAL.

Javascript (ECMAScript) is a wonderful, nimble core language--it's the clusterf%@k of different host environments (browser incompatibilities, in particular) that drive people crazy.

=jimA=