internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Javascript

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Javascript
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:15:33 -0400

> Never ending pop-ups and sites that kill your back button come to mind.

Interesting. I use Mozilla with it's built-in pop-up blocking, so almost
never have to deal with pop-ups, even with javascript enabled. I do find those "back button killer" sites to be extremely annoying as well,
but not enough so to turn off javascript.

Since I started this, I'll give my opinion. I don't like Javascript just like I don't like HTML email or flash or other unnecessary "features". I like the command line interface, teletypes, gophers, old band line printers, paper tape, and punch cards. So now you know. (I like vinyl LPs also. I will admit I like the new 33s over the old 78s.)

Seriously:
Is there any quality web space out there which can not get by
without using gimmicks? I have two browsers for surfing, one with
js on for banking and other people who seem to lack the ability to
write quality code without js; and one with js off for almost all
other surfing. Many sites are blank when I go to them. I see nothing
or nothing of any substance so I go somewhere else. Has anyone
ever heard of content for goodness sakes?
Fly out menus and such irritate me, especially when I use the
new, fancy laptop without the normal mouse, I can't get the stupid
thing to keep on the fly out long enough to get where I want it to
go. I didn't like those menus with the regular mouse, but now my
disgust has been solidified. New laptop will not take a normal mouse
so now I have to buy another one.
Silly thing doesn't have a floppy drive either. Bah! I guess I'll
have to figure out that thing they gave me on that string to plug
in that is supposedly soooo much better than a floppy drive.
I've developed web content since they developed the dang thing
and now we have to use all this new fangled nonsense.
Perhaps, I just like being crotchety...bah!