internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Passover-Kosher Coke in the triangle area?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Passover-Kosher Coke in the triangle area?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:19:48 -0400

>From Slate <http://slate.msn.com/id/1007469/>

What foods are prohibited during Passover?

Passover, which is being observed this week, is the holiday that celebrates
Jewish freedom from slavery in Egypt more than 3,000 years ago. Because the
Jews fled so quickly, they didn't have time to prepare leavened bread. As a
memorial to this, according to Exodus 12:17, "And ye shall observe the feast
of unleavened bread." But how this is observed is interpreted differently
both by the three major branches of Judaism--Orthodox, Conservative, and
Reform--and the two major ethnic groups: the Ashkenazim of central and
eastern European extraction, and the Sephardim, originally from Spain and
Portugal.

The Orthodox and Conservative movements both prohibit any foods made from
barley, oats, rye, spelt, and wheat. The Reform movement leaves it up to
each individual to decide how to observe dietary rules. Ashkenazic Jews are
also not supposed to eat corn, legumes, millet, or rice. Sephardic Jews can.
Everyone can eat potatoes.

Also came across this gem:

Coke lovers seek real thing during Passover

<http://www.libertyforum.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news_news&Number=140264
7&page=&view=&sb=&o=>

Calling it "the Search" makes it sound vaguely religious, but it's a totally
ecumenical pursuit. Sugar lovers of any faith partake in the search for
Coca-Cola that's made kosher for Passover. It's made with sugar.

The letters "OUP" on the cap of this 2-liter bottle of Coca-Cola show that
it is kosher for Passover. To qualify, it has to be made with real sugar,
not corn syrup.

When pharmacist John Pemberton was searching for a cure for headaches, he
stirred together a bunch of ingredients, including sugar, to create a syrup.
The year was 1886, and for nearly 100 years, Coca-Cola was made with sugar.

But beginning in 1979, Coke began to change. The Atlanta-based company began
sweetening the classic formula with high fructose corn syrup. By 1984 sugar
had been eliminated from Coke altogether.

In some instances, kosher laws prohibit the consumption of corn syrup during
Passover (Ashkenazic Jews, with backgrounds in Eastern Europe, usually avoid
products made with corn derivatives during Passover). The Coca-Cola Co.
responds to their restrictions by making a drink with sugar instead.

So Jews and non-Jews alike who believe that Coke never tastes so good as
when it is made with real sugar grab up all of the soft drink they can
during Passover ‹ so much so, that the product sells out.

"We did get some in a store last week, and it immediately sold out," said
Kay Kirby, from Kroger administrative offices in Louisville. "Coca-Cola, I
understand, is out of product," she added.

Coke spokesman Ashlie Keener said, "We're glad it's selling so well," and
assures everyone the supply will be back to normal by today.

Not every supermarket carries products that are kosher for Passover, which
fall under more rabbinical scrutiny than regular kosher foods.

So "the search" begins. Sugar seekers must find the markets that supply the
Jewish community, and then find the bottles that are marked with a tiny
"OUP" (Orthodox Union Passover) on the cap.

Inside, you'll find a cleaner-, crisper-tasting Coke.

In Louisville, and in most of the Southeast and Midwest, what you'll find is
2-liter bottles. The 8-ounce glass bottle won't contain Coke made with
sugar. Some people believe these small bottles (or the 6- and 6?-ounce
bottles that predated them) hold the best Coke because it's guaranteed
fresh; there's no screwing the top back on, inevitably allowing the Coke to
become flat.

But a few years ago, small containers caused quite the controversy. In some
areas, sugar-filled Cokes came only in liter containers and consumers
accused the company of withholding the less expensive 2-liter bottles to
make more money.

Now all you can find is 2-liters. So you need to find seven friends or
family members with whom to share it so there's no time for the fizz to
disappear.

In Louisville, these 2-liter, sugar-containing Cokes can be found in Kroger
stores at McMahon Center, in the Highlands and at Holiday Manor.

If you plan to horde them, be advised that Coke guarantees the quality for
only six months. After that, the perfection begins to decline.

"It's not like it goes bad," said Coke spokeswoman Keener, it's just "best
consumed."

Still, that gets you through several celebrations ‹ Memorial Day, Fourth of
July and Labor Day at the very least.