internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tarus Balog <tarus AT opennms.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:58:51 -0500

On Mar 18, 2004, at 2:00 PM, Don Rua wrote:

They do not behave in any manner as a professional business or responsible
organization would.

I maintain numerous mailing lists with over 2500 subscribers. When SPEWS decided to blacklist a bank of Rackspace IPs, I went to their site to find out how to correct the mistake. I was greeted with "Shut yer trap, spam boy" and other such wonderful, professional comments. Once I got the new IP address, I sent out a notice to the list that if they used SPEWS, and we were blacklisted again, I would not make any effort to correct it.

My IP was also blacklisted by AOL. There was a link to a thoughtful page on how to get your IP removed, and one e-mail later the problem was corrected (still don't know why I was included - I do not run an open relay).

Why I Won't Use SPEWS article:
http://www.clapper.org/spam/spews.html

Preach on.

-T
Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer Main: +1 919 545
2553
Blast Internet Services, Inc. Fax: +1
503-961-7746
Email: tarus AT opennms.org URL:
http://www2.blast.com/tarus
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481 512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C