internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:43:17 -0500

on Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:38:47AM -0500, Tarus Balog wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2004, at 6:05 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:
>
> >on Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:01:28PM -0500, Scott Lundgren wrote:
> >
> >You don't deal with SPEWS. SPEWS deals with you. Nobody knows who SPEWS
> >is, either, FWIW. Basically, you need to find another provider if
> >they're
> >too dumb or too slow or too greedy to keep spammers off their network.
>
> That's a little too harsh. I use Rackspace, and they rule as a
> provider. They do dedicated hosting, so you are free to put whatever
> O/S you want on your server, and configure it as you please.
>
> They have strict rules regarding such things as spam, and they are
> quick to shut down anyone who violates that policy.

Yeah, right. Rackspace? That must be why there are more than eight
thousand posts containing the word "rackspace" in nana[se], according
to dejagoogle.

> What then? There is an IP address out there that will need to get
> reused at some point. SPEWS is like torch wielding villagers, and I
> think the "too dumb or too slow" remark applies more to people who use
> them. In my case, SPEWS blacklisted a whole block of Rackspace
> addresses, including mine. Rackspace was very helpful at getting me
> another address to use, but it doesn't solve the problem of seemingly
> random and arbitrary blacklistings.

I'm against random or arbitrary blacklisting, too. I just don't think
that it applies in this case. Rackspace is well-known for moving their
spamming customers around to new IPs - rather than censuring them or
cancelling their accounts - when they get blocked. It's that sort of
crap that makes the ground ready for blunt instruments like SPEWS.

And they're /still/ at it.

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/

look up 'isps by country' -> 'united states' -> rackspace.

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL14999
http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/sbl.lasso?query=SBL14861

I'm sorry, but Rackspace either has a few bad apples, or they simply
practice a policy of lying to people. Either way, they're continuing to
host Atriks, and this hurts their reputation and their customers both.

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/