internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tarus Balog <tarus AT opennms.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:38:47 -0500

On Mar 17, 2004, at 6:05 PM, Steven Champeon wrote:

on Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:01:28PM -0500, Scott Lundgren wrote:

You don't deal with SPEWS. SPEWS deals with you. Nobody knows who SPEWS
is, either, FWIW. Basically, you need to find another provider if they're
too dumb or too slow or too greedy to keep spammers off their network.

That's a little too harsh. I use Rackspace, and they rule as a provider. They do dedicated hosting, so you are free to put whatever O/S you want on your server, and configure it as you please.

They have strict rules regarding such things as spam, and they are quick to shut down anyone who violates that policy.

What then? There is an IP address out there that will need to get reused at some point. SPEWS is like torch wielding villagers, and I think the "too dumb or too slow" remark applies more to people who use them. In my case, SPEWS blacklisted a whole block of Rackspace addresses, including mine. Rackspace was very helpful at getting me another address to use, but it doesn't solve the problem of seemingly random and arbitrary blacklistings.

-T
Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer Main: +1 919 545
2553
Blast Internet Services, Inc. Fax: +1
503-961-7746
Email: tarus AT opennms.org URL:
http://www2.blast.com/tarus
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481 512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C