internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] contacts or suggestions for dealing with SPEWS
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:31:36 -0500

Alright, this has been piquing my interest since this thread started.

Back in the day, around 2 years ago now, I got my Grandma's hand me down iMac, and promptly set up my free iTools account. Around came dot mac, and I paid my $50 for the first year. This year, I finagled it so I paid $5 to a friend for email-only, but still with the same email address. So I'm approaching my 3rd year of the same address, yet probably get only half a dozen spams per month.

For the first year I was an email nazi with regards to protecting my email. My old ISP didn't deactivate my account for months, so I used that for signing up for things online and the like as long as possible. When that happened, I was really careful, then finally just figured "What the hell, Mail.app has a spam filter, lets just see what happens when I go back to using my address for stuff online" I didn't go sign up for porn or anything I knew would get my spam, but I use it for lots of places, yet I still get very little spam.

So I guess it boils down to: (a) does Apple just run really good spam filters on the dot mac servers or (b) what else could be the reason for this?

I'm just curious, definitely not complaining,
Ian

ps: AFAIK, I have never had legitimate email rejected, however I have been blocked on occasion from sending email to some ISPs and some AOL accounts reject my address as well (and they are people that I know haven't done anything like block email from me)