internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] music recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] music recommendations
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 01:23:24 -0500

on Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:35:01PM -0500, Corey Wilson wrote:

> John Prine is also a big favorite. Try his new album "Souvenirs" which
> is a collection of his favorite songs over the last 20 years.

The essential Prine records are:

- John Prine (his first album)
- John Prine Live (1988)

If you can only get one, get "Great Days", which has most of this stuff
as well as a couple of live versions.

His collection of duets, In Spite of Ourselves, is, as my friend Paul
put it, "just so effin' charming". The duet w/Iris Dement is fantastic.

For those who don't know, Prine wrote "Angel from Montgomery", which you
may have heard sung by Bonnie Raitt, as well as a series of other songs
that just stick with you, like "Hello in There", "Paradise", "Illegal
Smile", "Sam Stone", "Come Back to Us Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna
Beauregard", "Dear Abby" and more. I love Prine. His stuff was a staple
of our Open Mike at the bar I used to work at when I was in college.

And I just got into Death Cab for Cutie - a friend sent me a mix with "We
Looked Like Giants" on it; I don't think I've ever heard a better ode to
losing your virginity ;) Great stuff.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier