internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:04:10 -0500

I spent some time listening to Mr. Limbaugh lecture on the Gay Marriage issue yesterday, and so am familiar with the arguments against it. There's only one problem with them, and that's the constitution. There's no way that excluding a class of people from getting married will stand as equal protection. You can rationalize it all you want, but marriage as an institution for heterosexual couples can only go the way of separate but equal.

I believe this is the reason for the movement to introduce an amendment to the constitution regarding marriage. It would bring political returns for those introducing it, and could potentially postpone having the court taking any court challenges on the subject.

On Poetry: People could like daffodils if they wanted to, but should not be allowed
to take up more than a page to say so. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC