internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Cellphone plans/providers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Cellphone plans/providers
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:14:48 -0500 (EST)

Cell providers seem to be rate-happy for extra minutes. I recommend
over-estimating your phone usage: for a 500-peak-minute calling plan,
assume a 31-day billing period in which 8 days are off-peak (weekends).

Do the math:
500 / (31 - 8)
= 500 / 23
= 21.7 peak minutes per day.

Is this enough? Depending on your calling habits, and what other phone
lines you have available, this might suit you. If this is your only
phone, and you tend to make lots of calls during business hours, you
might need more than this.

I got bit by the high rate of extra minutes last month -- an extra 110
minutes of peak airtime cost me $50. (My monthly bill is only $50 -- I
was rather surprised at the unexpected doubling.) It was probably a fluke
(due to being snowbound up in the mountains), but it made me more
conscious of my calling habits. It also prompted me to investigate my
provider's current rate plans, and it turns out their current plan at my
price level includes more minutes. I can't get it applied retractively
to January's bill, but it doesn't cost more and I don't have to sign a
new contract.

My advice would be to pick a provider and a rate-plan "family"; start out
on one rate plan with the minutes you expect to use; and try it for a
month or two. Most providers will be happy to switch you to another plan
if you end up needing more/fewer minutes.

--Sil

Reported 04.02.20 22:04 from Diana Duncan:

.:On to something uncontroversial (I hope).
.:
.:Craig and I are attempting to sift through all the nutty wireless
.:plans, and can't seem to find one that makes sense. Partially, we are
.:just confused by all the features and terminology. What we think we
.:would like are:
.:
.:- rollover
.:- port our current line 2 landline number to one of the phones
.:- possibly 2 phones, with free in-family minutes
.:- in-network coverage ("nationwide"?) including Ohio, Atlanta, DC
.:- 500 minutes that we can share? Is that enough/too much?
.:
.:My sister recently was hit with >$1000 for her cellphone bill, I'd like
.:to avoid that kind of craziness. In general, we don't leave the area
.:frequently, but would certainly like to be able to use the phone
.:without fear when we are out of the area. We're not deeply concerned
.:with long-distance rates since we switched to VoIP at home, and will
.:generally use that for most long-distance calls. We will use these
.:phones primarily for 1) in-coming business calls, 2) keeping in touch
.:with each other when we are apart (rarely, as we both work from home
.:currently) and 3) so that sitters/day-care/grandma can reach us in case
.:of emergency with Caelan.
.:
.:Advice, please?
.:
.:TIA,
.:
.:Diana
.:
.:---
.:Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
.:You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
.:To unsubscribe visit
.:

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)