internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:40:37 -0500

David Parker wrote:

> Michael Czeiszperger responded to Shea Tisdale:
>
> > > So how would this fit with restrictions imposed on those who believe
> in
> > > polygamy?
> >
> > That depends on who brings the lawsuit. I believe any court would only
> > give an opinion based on the case before it, and would restrict any
> > opinions to the limited issue at hand. In other words, at least in my
> > opinion there's no direct link between gay marriage and polygamy. As to
> > the subject of whether polygamy should be legal I don't know enough
> > about it to say one way or the other.
> >
> It's amazing how the groups who believe in polygamy can live openly
> polygamous lives even though it's illegal. (My wife grew up in Southern
> Utah
> and knew a few kids who came from polygamous families.) Law enforcement
> seems unable or unwilling to pursue them for practicing polygamy, although
> they usually can nail them for other things, such as statutory rape (many
> take child brides) child abuse and welfare fraud. (Having that many family
> members to support may force them into illegal activities, plus, since
> they're already flouting the law...)
>
> There's a lawyer in Utah who is arguing to make polygamy legal based not
> on the position that gay marriage should be legal, but on the striking
> down of Texas' anti-sodomy law.

The reason I asked this question is because most of the arguments for
Palygamy are religiously based and therefore any laws against it seem to be
in violation of the first amendment. Carrying this a bit further, it seems
that those who seek to use religious reasons to ban gay-marriage would
necessarily have to accept polygamy as it is rooted in religious belief.

I would like to see a church/religion endorse gay marriage and see how that
is dealt with.

This seems to be a pretty good site regarding marriage law.
http://usmarriagelaws.com